Skip to main content
Create a Virtual Environment
- Lead By Example – Show flexibility by teleworking.
- Practice - Designate one team meeting a month as a virtual meeting.
- Consider Virtual Technology – Office Communicator and teleconferencing can simplify business communications between ALL team members and customers.
- Team Unity – Include teleworkers during team building activities on their telework day by using virtual technology.
- Communications – Continue to stay connected and continue relationship building.
Create a High-Performance Team
- Create a Vision - Establish clear objectives for the entire team that communicate the business necessity and benefits of working virtually.
- Develop Team Norms - Create an open dialogue with team members to define teamwork processes, set performance standards, and establish expectations for customers and key stakeholders.
- Be Results Driven – Review employee outputs to measure productivity based upon predetermined goals.
- Be Consistent and Establish Expectations Early - Don’t let employees say, “I can’t do…. because I’m teleworking.” Telework is not an excuse. Treat all employees equally!
- Build Trust – Use performance-based metrics, discuss best practices with the whole team, and address problems early.
- Emergency Preparedness – Communicate employee expectations when Unscheduled Telework/Unscheduled Leave is announced by OPM or NIH to ensure the office is prepared for all types of emergencies or non-emergencies.