Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

Effective May 23, 2024: FSAFEDS has identified a limited number of unauthorized health care FSA and dependent care FSA enrollments, leading to unauthorized and unexpected deductions from employees' pay.

Out of an abundance of caution, OPM has temporarily disabled the enrollment functionality of the FSAFEDS platform.

If NIH has an employees who have been fraudulently enrolled, the employee can report the enrollment to FSA directly at
 1-877-FSAFEDS (1-877-372-3337).  

Important Notice: If you experience an e-mail login issue with your Flexible Spending Account on the FSAFEDS website, notify your Benefits Specialist. Provide your Benefits Specialist with your current login e-mail address and your updated e-mail address for submission to FSAFEDS.  

A Flexible Spending Account is an employee benefit that allows you to set aside money from your paycheck, pre-tax, to pay for healthcare and dependent care expenses. Unlike a Health Savings Account (HSA), an FSA is not administered by your health insurance. However, it can still help you save money on income taxes.

You can enroll in an FSA if you are currently eligible for enrollment in a Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program.

There are three types of Flexible Spending Accounts:
Type of FSA Can help you pay for: Who can enroll: Maximum contribution:
Health Care FSA (HCFSA) Any eligible medical costs, like co-payments or prescriptions Anyone eligible for enrollment under the FEHB program, unless you have a High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA) $3,200
Limited Expense Health Care Account FSA (LEX HCFSA) Any eligible dental and vision expenses Anyone eligible for enrollment under the FEHB program, even if you have a HDHP with a HSA $3,200
Dependent Care FSA (DCFSA) Any child or adult dependent care expenses Any NIH employee who is not temporary, seasonal, or intermittent $5,000 per household or $2,500 if married but filing separately

For questions regarding types of FSAs, use-or-lose limits, or how to enroll, see the FSAFEDS website. You can also call an FSAFEDS Benefits Counselor at 1-877-372-3337, (TTY: 1-800-952-0450), Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m., EST.