First Time Enrollment
- New employees may enroll within 60 calendar days of their start date. Your membership will be effective on the date of enrollment.
- All other employees may enroll during annual open enrollment which runs from mid-November to mid-December. Your membership will be effective the first day of the next leave year.
- Please note: The NIH Leave Bank Program is separate from the Voluntary Leave Transfer Program (VLTP). For additional information on the differences between VLTP and the Leave Bank, please visit our comparison page.
How to Enroll
Log into ITAS (Integrated Time and Attendance System) and select "Leave Bank Membership".
Note: Do NOT select “Donate to Leave Bank” tab. This will result in an additional donation beyond the yearly membership contribution.
If you cannot access ITAS or are having issues enrolling, please contact the Leave Bank Office by email at LeaveBank@od.nih.gov or call 301-443-8393.
To become a member, you must make a yearly membership contribution of one pay period's annual leave accrual – 4, 6, or 8 hours, depending on your leave category. Membership contributions are not pro-rated for part-time employees.
Employees who enroll during the annual open enrollment will have their annual membership contributions deducted within the first 2 pay periods of the new leave year. The membership contribution will come out of the new leave year’s leave accrual, NOT the employees use-or-lose hours.
New employees will have their annual membership contributions deducted within 1-3 pay periods following enrollment.
Membership Contribution Waiver
Your annual membership contribution will automatically be waived if you:
- lack sufficient leave; or
- are a current recipient of the Voluntary Leave Transfer Program (VLTP) or Leave Bank
Note: The policy has changed since 2015. Waivers will NOT be granted to those who make a use-or-lose annual leave donation.
New employees who enroll within their first two weeks of employment at NIH will automatically receive a waiver of their membership contribution for the current leave year, as they will lack sufficient leave.
- Membership automatically rolls-over from year-to-year unless you choose to opt-out in ITAS during an open enrollment period.
- Employees cannot opt out or enroll outside of an open enrollment period. An employee is responsible for knowing his or her membership status.
- The membership period for 2021 is January 3, 2021 – January 1, 2022.
Email LeaveBank@od.nih.gov or call 301-443-8393