The Benefits and Payroll Liaison Branch offers seminars to NIH employees in all stages of their Federal career. Learn more about your CSRS or FERS retirement system, how military service affects your retirement eligibility, contributions to social security, and the Thrift Savings Plan using the tabs below.
The Retirement and Employee Benefits Branch is committed to provide excellent customer service. While the anticipated turn around for retirement estimates within a year is 2-3 weeks, and 5-6 weeks for estimates beyond a year, you may experience slight delays in receiving estimates from October – December. During these months our office is heavily focused on Benefits Open Season and year end retirements. Note: If you are retiring at the end of this year, your request will be prioritized. We appreciate your patience during this timeframe. If you have an urgent request, please contact your servicing IC Retirement & Employee Benefits Specialist. You may also use the GRB Platform to project your own estimate.
Phased Retirement Information
Phased Retirement is a human resources tool that allows full-time employees to work part-time schedules while beginning to draw retirement benefits. This new tool will allow managers to better provide unique mentoring opportunities for employees while increasing access to the decades of institutional knowledge and experience that retirees can provide.
OPM issued final regulations implementing Phased Retirement effective November 6, 2014; however, agencies must first establish their internal policy prior to implementing the program at the agency level. Phased Retirement is not yet available within HHS. NIH is awaiting a decision from HHS on when Phased Retirement will be implemented. Once HHS decides to adopt Phased Retirement, an internal policy must be put in place after completing the following:
- Discussions with our labor partners;
- Transition to the new integrated payroll and human resources provider, the National Finance Center; and ensure the successful deployment of HHS’s new employee travel management system;
- Provide training to employees, managers, and HR professionals;
- Upgrade retirement benefits technology; and
- Ensure that the Department implements a Phased Retirement Mentoring program necessary to fully comply with the regulations.
Upon establishment of the HHS policy and availability of the program to NIH employees, information will be disseminated via various communication sources such as NIH-wide Listserv notices, Benefits Newsletter, and HR News.
For additional information on Phased Retirement view the FAQs.
- Mid-Career Financial Planning Workshop: Attend if you’re 15-20 years away from retirement
- CSRS and FERS Workshops: Attend if you plan to retire within the next 5 years
To register, visit the NIH Training Center course catalog. For other sessions, check out the Benefits Events Calendar.