Emergency tier designations and telework arrangements affect how you will respond to changes in operating status. Contact your supervisor if you have questions.
Translating OPM Announcements
Federal offices are closed - emergency and telework-ready employees must continue to work
Open - With option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework
Open – [nn] hour(s) delayed arrival – with option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework
Delayed arrival - Employees must report to their office no later than [hh:mm] - with option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework
Open - [nn] hour(s) staggered early departure
Open - [nn] hour(s) staggered early departure - All employees must depart no later than [hh:mm] at which time federal offices are closed
Immediate departure - federal offices are closed
-  An emergency is any disruption that affects an employee’s ability to arrive, depart or continue working at his or her duty location, such as forecasted/actual severe weather, fire, localized flooding or power outages, loss of water, gas leak, or building damage after an earthquake.
-  Excused absence should not be granted to employees on (1) official travel, (2) LWOP, or (3) a flexible or compressed work schedule day off.
-  In the event of a staggered departure, excused absence should not be granted to employees on (1) preapproved leave for the entire day or who have requested unscheduled leave before the early departure policy is announced, (2) official travel, or (3) a flexible or compressed work schedule day off.
- On a case-by-case basis, supervisors may provide excused absence to an employee who is unable to report to telework or report to their worksite because of a personal hardship. For example, factors such as electricity/infrastructure/connectivity issues, availability of public transportation, or available alternatives to childcare or eldercare may be considered.
- For a printable document describing NIH Dismissal and Closure procedures and inclement weather/emergency dismissals please visit: NIH Closures and Dismissals Matrix.