Completing Your New Hire Paperwork in USA Staffing Onboarding
What you should know before you begin
The USA Staffing Onboarding for New Hires will ask you a series of questions and answer will be used to fill out forms.
Your will log into the Onboarding system through login.gov with your USAJOBS username and password.
If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to:
- Create a login.gov account for access to USAJOBS.
- After you’ve created a login.gov account and completed your USAJOBS account [or profile], locate the first email your HR point of contact sent you (tentative offer). This email will include a link to Onboarding, click on the link.
- Login to USAS Onboarding through login.gov using your USAJOBS account username and password
You will need to log into the system multiple times throughout the onboarding process so make sure to keep your login information handy!
Forms to complete
Forms are assigned based on your appointment type (e.g. permanent, temporary, etc.). Read the instructions carefully to determine which forms (if assigned) are submitted electronically and which forms to bring to orientation.
Submit electronically before orientation:
- Fast Start Direct Deposit (FMS-2232)
- Educational Data Update Form (298-42)
- Record of Home Address (HHS-476)
- Self-Identification of Disability (SF-256)
- Ethnicity and Race Identification Form (SF-181)
- Federal Employee Withholding Allowance (W-4)
- Statement of Prior Federal Service (SF-144)
- Verification of a Military Retiree’s Service in Nonwartime Campaigns or Expeditions (SF-813)
- State Tax Form
Bring to orientation
- Appointment Affidavit (SF-61)
- Note:The Onboarding system will prompt you to print this form. You will sign this form at Orientation with an ink signature after the Oath of Office is administered.
- Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9)
- Note: The Onboarding system will prompt you to print this form. An HR representative will review your supporting documentation for this form and will sign it during Orientation. For a list of acceptable supporting documents, please visit:
- Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306)
- Note: Electronically sign this form as the Applicant (1st signature). Your HR point of contact will email you after initial review of the form to let you know when to print the form. Follow the Onboarding system prompts to print the form and bring it to orientation for collection of ink signature as the Appointee (2nd signature).
Submit electronically after orientation
You will attend a Benefits presentation during orientation. The presentation will provide information to help you complete the forms listed below which is why they are due AFTER orientation. Refer to the due dates listed in the system for each of the forms.
- Health Benefits Election Form (SF-2809)
- Life Insurance Election (FEGLI) (SF-2817)
- Thrift Savings Plan Enrollment (TSP-1)
- TSP Catch-Up Contribution (TSP-1-C) (if applicable)
Note: Beneficiary forms may have been assigned to you via the Onboarding system. You may complete the forms electronically; however, the system will prompt you to print the forms so that you may submit them in hard copy to the NIH Benefits office. Beneficiary forms can only be accepted via hard copy.
- Creating your Login.gov account
- Accessing your Login.gov account
- Completing the New Hire Questionnaire and submitting your EOD forms
- Contact the HR Representative who extended you the job offer.
- Visit the USA Staffing Onboarding Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
If you have a question regarding your job offer, need assistance, or would like to report an issue with the USA Staffing Onboarding system, please contact the HR Representative who extended you the job offer.