TALX The Work Number® provides a secure way for verifiers to obtain employment information. Verifiers include mortgage lenders, banks, leasing companies, and other financial entities that use TALX to verify proof of employment and income of employees. It is quick, simple and speeds up the credit/loan application process.
You must give someone authorization to get your income information from the service. There are numerous ways in which you can give someone authorization to access your income information, such as by signing a borrower’s authorization form when applying for a loan.
- Need proof of employment or income to grant credit
- Need proof of employment for you to monitor your investment portfolio or loans, or a
- Government agency that needs to determine eligibility for government assistance
TALX The Work Number® only provides employment and income verification for civilian federal employees (not Fellows or Commission Corps). If you are a Fellow or Former Employee, please contact the appropriate supervisor or Program Office for verification.
Key advantages for employees
- Quick/Simple – Secure Automated verification service
- Time Efficient – Speeds up credit/loan application process
- Verify Anytime/Anywhere – Accessible 24 hours a day/7 days a week
- Widely used by most companies
- No cost to employees 
How to use TALX
- Complete the verifier’s authorization form. Provide all names/aliases by which you were known during your federal service.
- Some verifiers will request that you create a salary key so they are able to obtain your income information. You will need to log into TALX to create a salary key.
- Provide the verifier with:
New users first time login
Please see guidance for first-time login.
- Enter a User id and Pin.
- User id: Social Security number (SSN)
- Initial pin: last 4 digits of SSN + full birth year
- Enroll in the Enhanced Security or Risk Based Authentication if needed
More support & information for employees
Verifiers must enroll to use TALX. According to TALX, a fee is required to obtain a report from them.
TALX charges fees to verifiers. However, because many lenders that require HR verification are already subscribed to TALX, it is rare that such verifiers will pass on the charges to an HHS employee. If a verifier decides to pass on the charges to an employee, HHS has an agreement with TALX to reimburse the employee for the verification fees.
If you are charged for a verification and need the steps to be reimbursed, or for TALX technical questions and technical support, submit a support ticket and select 'Get Help With An HR System' to contact the HR Systems Support Team.