Steps to Register
- Locate a course in the NIH Training Center course catalog and click Register. This will trigger a two-level approvals chain within the HHS Learning Portal (LMS).
- Log into the HHS Access Management System (AMS).
- Select the HHS Learning Portal (LMS) link.
- When prompted, select “Yes, Continue Registration” to complete the process. IMPORTANT: Your request for registration will be sent directly to the waiting list pending full approval by your direct supervisor and final approver with a valid CAN number for billing.
Any additional training approvals needed outside the LMS will follow each IC’s internal business process for training approval.
Classroom seating is limited. In order to assure a place in class, it is recommended that you complete your enrollment at least four weeks prior to the class date. Course prices are subject to change.
Interested in learning about the new NIH Training Center Registration Process Changes? Check out our video.
The LMS sends a confirmation once your registration is confirmed on the roster. Another calendar confirmation will be sent closer to the course start date containing the virtual login information. If you do not receive this confirmation, please call 301-496-6211 or email us.
Training Hours and Reporting to Work
You must adjust your schedule to conform with the hours of the training course. If the hours are less than your tour of duty (after considering the number of days, location, and hours per day) your supervisor may:
(1) require you to report to your regular worksite prior to and/or after training in order to make up the difference between your tour of duty and the length of the training;
(2) grant up to one hour per day of excused absence for the difference between your tour of duty and the number of hours of training (minus any commuting time between the training and worksite); or
(3) require you to revert to a standard tour of duty for the pay period(s) during the training.
For additional information, refer to the Alternative Work Schedules section of the NIH Policy Manual. Excused Absence is discussed under number 11.
The NIH Training Center(NIHTC) makes every effort to support accessibility for training. ICs are fully responsible for their employees accommodations while attending training at the NIHTC.
Please notify the NIHTC if a special accommodation is needed at least two weeks before the training begins. Currently, the NIHTC is offering training virtually. If an interpreter is required, let the NIHTC know so we may provide a link to the virtual platform and alert the class instructor.
When the NIHTC returns to in-person learning, we ask that you follow the same guidelines of contacting the NIHTC at least two weeks before training begins for an accommodation. Instructors need time to prepare for a requested interpreter, closed captioning, accommodate wheelchairs, or other assistive devices.
If you need a lactation room, please enroll in the Nursing Mothers Program several weeks prior to class. Please note – our White Flint location has a lactation room on the 3rd floor. You must request a staff member to escort you.