FAQ: Benefits News

  • Q: How Can I Get In Touch With My Benefits Contact?


    Your contact in the Benefits and Payroll Liaison Branch will be able to help you with a variety of issues pertaining to the health and life insurance programs, designating beneficiaries, the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), calculating your retirement annuity estimate, working with you to pay a redeposit for prior civilian service if you previously withdrew your retirement funds, paying a deposit for prior civilian or military service for which retirement deductions were not withheld, etc. To find your benefits contact, review our list of contacts. In addition, the Retirement & Employee Benefits Branch (REBB) website has an abundance of information regarding your Federal benefits. Don’t forget to check out the Benefits FAQs.

    Human resource topics not related to your benefits are normally handled by your Client Services Division HR Representative.

  • Q: Why Do I Need A myPay Login and Password?


    It is very important to have access to your myPay account so that you can view your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) each pay day to verify that the correct deductions are being withheld and that your leave balances on your LES match the balances in ITAS. You must also use myPay to make changes to your home address, TSP contributions, direct deposit of pay, allotments, Federal tax withholdings, and Open Season health benefits elections. Additionally, some state tax withholdings must be made via myPay. If you move to or from Maryland, you must complete a state tax form for your new state and submit it to the Final Authorizers Unit (2115 East Jefferson/Rm 2A-211) for processing. However, for movement between other states and/or the District, you must use myPay.

    To access the system, you will need your Login and Password. If you have forgotten your Login or Password, click the "Forgot Your Login ID?" or "Forgot or Need a Password?" link on the left side of the myPay screen. Using this method, your Password can be e-mailed to you if you pre-registered your e-mail address, or it can be mailed to your current home address of record within 7 to 10 business days.

    A second option for requesting a Password is to send a fax to 216-367-3549. You will need to include in your request your name, SSN, a daytime phone number, a copy of your NIH ID Card, and you must sign the fax. Upon receiving your fax, the Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS) will reset your Password using a temporary Password. Your temporary Password will be 8 numbers, the last 4 numbers of your SSN twice. You will not receive a notice from DFAS that your Password has been reset. Simply wait at least two business days before logging into myPay to use your temporary Password. Upon logging in, you will be prompted to reset your Password. Information pertaining to establishing an acceptable Login and Password can be obtained at myPay FAQs.

    If you encounter problems with your Login and/or Password or technical issues using myPay, contact the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit toll-free at 1-888-332-7411. This support line is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time. They can provide assistance on how to use the options available to you in myPay. They will also provide support for establishing and changing your Login and/or Password.

  • Q: Employment And Income Verification – Use TALX – The Work Number®


    The Work Number® is an automated system that provides proof of employment and income to verifiers. Workforce Solutions is widely known and used by over 50,000 entities including most major financial institutions, mortgage lenders, leasing companies, and private corporations to verify employment and income status of employees.  The system provides a secure way for verifiers to obtain your employment information and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

    Before your information can be released to a verifier, you must give your authorization.   NIH employees can use The Work Number® in two easy steps:

    1. Authorize the verification by completing the verifier's (lender, bank, etc.) authorization form.   If the verifier needs to verify your salary, you must create a salary key in The Work Number® system to provide to the verifier.  When you access the system as an employee, you will be asked to enter a User ID and a PIN.
    • Go to Workforce Solutions –The Work Number® or call 1-800-367-5690
    • If using the on-line system, click on “Sign-up” and then click on “View My Data.”
    • Your employer is Health and Human Services.
    • Your user ID is your full SSN.
    • Your initial PIN is the last four digits of your SSN + your full birth year (Example: 12341953).
    1. Provide the verifier with:
    • https://www.theworknumber.com/ or 1-800-367-5690
    • HHS Employer Code: 14775
    • Salary Key (if needed) (A salary key is a six-digit electronic signature created by the employee that is good for a one time use by a verifier.)

    If you need assistance with The Work Number® system, call 1-800-367-5690.

Page rating loading...
What was the best thing about this page?
What was the worst thing about this page?
Do not include personally identifiable information (PII). Please review our privacy policy.

Can we make this page better?

Let us know if you can't find the information you need, have a suggestion for improving this page, or found an error.

If your question requires an immediate response, please use the Contact Us form.

Do not include personally identifiable information (PII). Please review our privacy policy.