OPM Interchange Agreement and Other Miscellaneous Authorities Eligibility
Federal regulations, interchange agreements with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), and other authorities offer certain individuals the ability to apply to federal government announcements and to be appointed non-competitively to a position. Your eligibility does not entitle you to a job within the federal government. You must still apply, compete, and meet qualification standards and additional requirements, such as a background investigation.
If applying to an announcement directly, the announcement must be accepting applications from outside of the Department of Health and Human Services.
You may be eligible if you are
- A current excepted service employee of a federal agency (Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Nonappropriated Fund employees of the Department of Defense, etc.) that has a valid interchange agreement with the Office of Personnel Management; OR,
- Eligible for a competitive service appointment through an authority not regulated by OPM by being a Postal Career Service employee, Postal Rate Commission employee, Government Accountability Office employee, or an Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts employee.
To verify your eligibility, you must submit
- A copy of your Notification of Personnel Action, Standard Form 50 (SF-50) or equivalent employment record reflecting your status.
You must submit all required documents by the closing date of the announcement with your application package.
Visit OPM’s Competitive Hiring webpage for additional information and eligibility requirements.
- Appointment of Certain Family Members of Overseas Employees Eligibility
- Appointment of Certain Foreign Service Employees Eligibility
- Appointment of Certain Military Spouses Eligibility
- Appointment of Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA Staff Members Eligibility
- Displaced Federal Employees
- Foreign Education
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- OPM Interchange Agreement and Other Miscellaneous Authorities Eligibility
- Schedule A for People with Disabilities
- Appointment of Certain Base Facilities Management Employees Eligibility