Frequently Asked Questions: FEVS (Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey)
- What is the Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey?
The Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey (FEVS) is an annual survey administered by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). It is a tool that measures Federal Government employees' perceptions of whether, and to what extent, conditions characterizing successful organizations are present in their agencies. This is an opportunity for our employees to candidly share their perceptions about their work experiences, organizations, and leaders. The ultimate goal of the survey is to provide the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with information to build on strengths and improve challenge areas.
- When and by whom will the survey be administered?
The FEVS is an annual survey, and OPM has administered the 2018 FEVS to Federal Government employees on May 7, 2018 through June 18, 2018.
- How is the survey administered?
The FEVS is a web-based survey, and employees will receive an email invitation from OPM containing a unique link to the survey. Employees who have not completed the survey will also receive weekly email reminders with their survey link throughout the survey open period. Invitations to complete the survey will come from:
Source email address: Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey-HE
Subject line: The Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey: Empowering Employees. Inspiring Change.
- Who is eligible to take the survey?
Full- and part-time permanent, non-seasonal employees, including Title 42 and Commissioned Corps employees, on-board on or before October 28, 2017. Presently, contactors are not eligible for FEVS participation.
- Who will receive the “pilot survey” that OPM is testing for 2018?
This year, OPM is piloting revisions to the current FEVS survey. Every eligible employee who completes the traditional FEVS survey by June 15th will receive an invitation to take the pilot survey within one week. The pilot survey is completely voluntary and will be available to eligible employees until June 21st. OPM will use your feedback and comments on this pilot survey to help improve future FEVS surveys.
- The pilot survey is an OPM authorized survey
- Invitation to complete the pilot survey will come from:
- Source email address: Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey-HE
- Subject line: Inspire the future! Help us modernize the Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey!
- This updated version of the survey is being tested to replace the current survey and is a good opportunity to provide feedback to OPM. Comments are welcome at the end of the pilot survey.
- Your candid and confidential responses on this voluntary pilot survey will help OPM to select the best topics and questions moving into future FEVS administrations.
- How long does it take to complete the survey?
You should be able to complete the survey in approximately 20-25 minutes.
- How do I know that my responses will remain confidential?
OPM is responsible for administering the FEVS and does not provide raw data to any participating Federal agencies. Therefore, no HHS Operating Divisions will have access to any individuals’ responses. All reports provided to HHS from OPM will present calculated aggregate percentages only. All data are rolled up to reports that have at least 10 responses to protect the confidentiality of all respondents to the FEVS. Please review the confidentiality infographic to learn about the process.
- Is the survey voluntary?
Yes, the survey is voluntary, but participation is encouraged and valued. We use your input to gauge how we are doing, where we can improve, and create positive changes throughout the agency. Please help us ensure that the NIH excels at providing a safe, effective, and engaging workplace for all our employees.
- May I pass/forward the survey on to someone else to take?
No, each link to the survey is unique and can only be used once. Please do not forward your link to any individuals or groups, because after the survey has been completed by one person, the link will no longer allow you to access the survey.
- What should I do if I mistakenly delete my survey email invitation?
If you delete your invitation, you can wait to the following week when your reminder email will be sent to you. This reminder email includes your unique link to the 2018 FEVS and you can then access your survey.
- Who/what are the some of the terms referring to (e.g. agency and senior leader)?
Please visit the FEVS Key Terms page for a list of NIH definitions to key terms used on the FEVS.
- Why does the survey include demographic questions?
NIH and the Federal Government are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. Given that policy, we are soliciting responses to the demographic items in the survey. Your responses are voluntary, confidential, and will be used to enhance understanding of the diversity of the NIH and Federal Government workforce.
- What do I do if I encounter technical difficulties in receiving or completing the survey?
If the personalized link enclosed in your individual email does not take you directly to the survey, copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser. You may also try to manually type in the link as well.
If you still are unable to access the survey, please contact the OPM FEVS Help Desk (toll free) at 855-OPM-FEVS (1-855-676-3387). Alternatively, you can contact your IC’s point of contact or the Office of Human Resources for assistance.
- Where can I find more information about the FEVS?
For questions about the FEVS, please contact the Office of Human Resources. To learn more about the survey and review the previous year’s FEVS results, please visit: