Appointment of Certain Military Spouses Eligibility
Federal statutes (5 U.S. Code § 3330d. Appointment of military spouses) regulations (5 CFR 315.612) offer military spouses the ability to apply to federal government announcements and to be appointed non-competitively to a position. Your eligibility does not entitle you to a job within the Federal Government. You must still apply, compete, and meet qualification standards and additional requirements, such as a background investigation.
If applying to an announcement directly, the announcement must be accepting applications from outside of the Department of Health and Human Services.
You may be eligible if you meet one of the three requirements below:
- You are the spouse of a member of the armed forces on active duty; OR,
- You are the spouse of a service member who is 100% disabled due to a service-connected injury; OR,
- You are the spouse of a service member killed while on active duty.
- To verify your eligibility for option 1 identified above, you must submit a copy of the
- Active duty orders for your spouse or other documentation from the military showing that your spouse is on active duty; AND,
- Documentation verifying marriage to the member of the armed forces (i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage).
- To verify your eligibility for options 2 and 3 identified above, you must submit
- Documentation showing the member of the armed forces was released or discharged from active duty due to a service-connected disability or discharged due to his or her death;
- Documentation showing the member of the armed forces retired, or was released or discharged from active duty, with a disability rating of 100 percent, or killed while serving on active duty;
- Documentation verifying marriage to the member of the armed forces (i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage); AND,
- A statement certifying that you are the un-remarried widow or widower of the service member (if applicable).
Reference Standard Form 15 (SF-15) for qualifying documents for 1 through 4 above.
You must submit all required documents by the closing date of the announcement with your application package.
For more information, reference FedsHireVets.
- Appointment of Certain Family Members of Overseas Employees Eligibility
- Appointment of Certain Foreign Service Employees Eligibility
- Appointment of Certain Military Spouses Eligibility
- Appointment of Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA Staff Members Eligibility
- Displaced Federal Employees
- Foreign Education
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- OPM Interchange Agreement and Other Miscellaneous Authorities Eligibility
- Schedule A for People with Disabilities
- Appointment of Certain Base Facilities Management Employees Eligibility