Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program

The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) is a process by which employees who have been involuntarily separated may receive selection priority for jobs in agencies other than the one in which they were previously employed.

Who is eligible for ICTAP?

To receive selection priority in other agencies through ICTAP, your current or last position must be/have been career (tenure group I) or career-conditional (tenure group II) in the competitive service, and you must fall under one of these categories:

  • Reduction in Force (RIF)--you have been (or are being) involuntarily separated from an Executive branch agency through reduction in force;
  • Transfer of Function/Directed Reassignment--you have been (or are being) separated under adverse action procedures because you declined a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another local commuting area;
  • Injury Compensation--you were separated due to work-related injury, your worker’s compensation benefits have stopped because you recovered, and your former agency is unable to place you through its Reemployment Priority List (RPL);
  • Disability Annuitant--you retired with a disability and your annuity has been/will be terminated because OPM considers you recovered;
  • RIF-Retired--you received a RIF separation notice and elected either optional retirement on the RIF effective date, or discontinued service retirement on or before the RIF date;
  • Military/National Guard Technician--you were a Military Reserve or National Guard Technician and now receive a special OPM disability retirement annuity.

How do I get selection priority?

If you fall into one of the eligibility categories above, you must:

  • have a current performance rating of at least "fully successful" (Level III) or equivalent;

This requirement does not apply if you qualify for ICTAP due to injury compensation or disability annuity.

  • occupy (or have been separated from) a position in the same local commuting area of the vacancy;
  • apply for a specific vacancy at or below the grade level you are being (or have been) separated from that does not have greater promotion potential than your last position;
  • meet the application deadline and all other requirements of the announcement; and,
  • be found "well qualified" for the job.

What do I need to submit?

You must attach proof of your eligibility to your electronic application and it must be received before the closing of the announcement.  Submit the following as applicable:

  • a copy of your current (or last) performance rating of record; and,
  • proof of eligibility (attach all that apply)
    • your RIF separation notice,
    • notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate,
    • notice of disability annuity termination,
    • an SF-50--Notification of Personnel Action--documenting RIF separation, and/or,
    • agency certification of inability to place you through the Reemployment Priority List (RPL)

Your proof of eligibility MUST show the position, grade level and duty location of the position from which you were (or will be) separated and your full performance level or career ladder.

For more information visit, OPM’s Guide to Career Transition.