NIH Senior Leadership Program
The NIH is committed to playing an active role in advancing the skills of senior-level staff. While providing a collection of junior professional development as well as mid-level and executive leadership programs, the Senior Leadership Program is our longest running leadership program. With over 1,400 alumni, the program has offered senior leaders at NIH the opportunity to develop leadership skills for over 18 years. The Senior Leadership Program provides a core component to our deliberate continuum of leadership development for inspired NIH staff.
Leadership competencies addressed in the NIH Senior Leadership Program correspond with the five SES Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
The program also complements the NIH Leadership and Management competency model.
Program Features and Structure
- An orientation, 3-day off-site opening session, three 2-day and one final day training session taking place over a period of five months
- Cohort size of 28 participants
- Initial 360-degree feedback, Myers-Briggs Type personality type indicator (MBTI), Firo-B, and StrengthsFinder assessments
- Four-and-a-half hours of personal coaching to review 360-degree feedback and assessments and develop/refine your leadership development plan
- Leadership development plans
- Local sessions hosted at Rockwood Manor
This program provides GS-14/15, SES, and equivalent employees with the opportunity to enhance individual leadership skills and develop effective leadership competencies to address challenges and contribute to the NIH mission. The NIH Senior Leadership Program combines case studies, interactive discussions, experiential learning, assessment data, developmental planning and a three-day intensive kickoff session.
Content and Current Cohort Program Schedule
|Orientation||Day 1-3||Day 4|
1/2 day Program Introduction
Assessments, Coaching, Leadership, Development, Action Plan
Leading for Impact
|Day 5||Day 6||Day 7|
Polarities in Leadership
The Wisdom of "And"
Leadership in Conflict and Collaboration
Energy, Risk, and Technology
Frontiers for Leadership
|Day 8||Day 9||Day 10|
Credible and Compelling Leadership
Leading to Learn
The Importance of Implicit
EQ > IQ
|FY 19 Sessions||Orientation Date||Opening Session Dates||Days 4/5||Days 6/7||Days 8/9||Day 10|
|Session 1||January 10||March 4-6||March 27-28||April 10-11||April 22-23||May 8|
|Session 2||February 25||April 29-May 1||May 15-16||May 29-30||June 12-13||June 19|
|Session 3||June 10||August 14-16||September 4-5||September 18-19||October 2-3||October 10|
|Session 4||August 12||October 16-18||October 29-30||November 13-14||December 4-5||December 12|
Alumni Share Takeaways from the Senior Leadership Program (SLP)
- The Call for FY19 Nominations will go to NIH Executive Officers in September 2018.
- EO or designated IC Points of Contact must internally approve IC nominations and then submit all approved nominees to the Training Center by the deadline.
- If you are interested in participating, please speak with your supervisor to express your interest in the program, to ensure your EO is aware.
- Tuition: $10,695
Senior Leadership Program Manager
NIH Training Center