The NIH is committed to playing an active role in advancing the skills of senior-level staff. While providing a collection of junior professional development as well as mid-level and executive leadership programs, the Senior Leadership Program is our longest running leadership program. With over 1,500 alumni, the program has offered senior leaders at NIH the opportunity to develop leadership skills for over 20 years. The Senior Leadership Program provides a core component to our deliberate continuum of leadership development for inspired NIH staff.
Leadership competencies addressed in the NIH Senior Leadership Program correspond with the five SES Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
The program also complements the NIH Leadership and Management competency model.
Program Features and Structure
- An orientation, 3-day off-site opening session, three 2-day and one final day training session taking place over a period of five months
- Cohort size of 28 participants
- Initial 360-degree feedback, Myers-Briggs Type personality type indicator (MBTI), Firo-B, and StrengthsFinder assessments
- Personal coaching (4.5 hours) to review 360-degree feedback and assessments and develop/refine your leadership development plan
- Leadership development plans
- Local sessions hosted at Rockwood Manor
This program provides GS-14/15, SES, and equivalent employees with the opportunity to enhance individual leadership skills and develop effective leadership competencies to address challenges and contribute to the NIH mission. The NIH Senior Leadership Program combines case studies, interactive discussions, experiential learning, assessment data, developmental planning and a three-day intensive kickoff session.
Content and Current Cohort Program Schedule
1/2 day Program Introduction
3-Day Offsite Kickoff
Assessments, Coaching, Leadership, Development, Action Plan
Leading for Impact
Polarities of Leadership
The Wisdom of "And"
Leadership in Conflict and Collaboration
Strengths Based Leadership
Identifying and Leveraging Your Strengths
Art of Persuasion
Credible and Compelling Leadership
Leadership & Resiliency
Resiliency During Change and Excessive Stress
EQ > IQ
Opening Session Dates
Mar 30-April 1
Alumni Share Takeaways from the Senior Leadership Program (SLP)
Current GS-14/15, SES, and equivalent employees
Individual nominations are vetted at the IC Executive Office level. Nominations are then forwarded to the NIH Training Center for priority placement.
2022 Program Status:
- 2022 Call for Nominations will be sent to IC Executive Officers in October.
- The 2022 Call for Nominations’ deadline will be November 19, 2021.
- 2022 SLP tuition: $11,000. IC funding is required.
*Please note: Session One is all virtual. Tuition for Session One is $9,800
SLP Program Manager
NIH Training Center