Appointment of Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA Staff Members Eligibility
Federal regulations (5 CFR 315.605 & 5 CFR 315.607) offer certain Peace Corps volunteers, or current or former Peace Corps staff members the ability to apply to federal government announcements and to be appointed non-competitively to a position. Your eligibility does not entitle you to a job within the federal government. You must still apply, compete, and meet qualification standards and additional requirements, such as a background investigation.
If applying to an announcement directly, the announcement must be accepting applications from outside of the Department of Health and Human Services.
You may be eligible if you meet all of the requirements below:
- You are a former Peace Corps Volunteer who has completed your service within the past twelve months; OR,
- You are a former Peace Corps Volunteer who has completed your service within the past 36 months and you are requesting an extension of non-competitive eligibility due to military service, status as a full-time student, or other experience directly related to the position. You must state you are requesting an extension and why in your documentation; OR,
- You are a current or former Peace Corps employee/staff member who has completed at least 36 months of continuous service without a break in service of three days or more and has been separated from the Peace Corps for less than three years.
To verify your eligibility, you must submit
- A document from the Peace Corps certifying your volunteer service or employment.
- If you are requesting an extension as a former Peace Corps Volunteer, you must submit a document stating why you are requesting additional time. If you are requesting an extension based on your military service, you must submit your DD-214. Extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis.
You must submit all required documents by the closing date of the announcement with your application package.
For more information, review USAJOB’s page on Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Appointment of Certain Family Members of Overseas Employees Eligibility
- Appointment of Certain Foreign Service Employees Eligibility
- Appointment of Certain Military Spouses Eligibility
- Appointment of Peace Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA Staff Members Eligibility
- Displaced Federal Employees
- Foreign Education
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- OPM Interchange Agreement and Other Miscellaneous Authorities Eligibility
- Schedule A for People with Disabilities
- Appointment of Certain Base Facilities Management Employees Eligibility