Check Leave Bank Approval Email
An email indicating the decision on your Leave Bank application will be sent to you, your LAO and your IC’s Leave Bank Coordinator(s) If the information is not accurate, contact the Leave Bank Office for re-analysis.
Schedule a Meeting
Meet with your IC’s Leave Bank Coordinator(s), your timekeeper, and LAO to discuss the timekeeping process, leave options, and resources. Any concerns or questions should be addressed. Your Leave Bank Coordinator(s) can be found in your approval email.
Using Leave Bank Leave
LAOs may request verification that leave used from the Leave Bank is related to the original medical emergency. More information for LAOs can be found here.
Your approved Leave Bank leave (total needed leave – available paid leave = approved Leave Bank leave) will be transferred to NIH’s Payroll Office (DFAS) and in ITAS. Please note the following:
- Timeframe: Tickets to transfer leave at DFAS are submitted at the time of the approval unless otherwise noted. The timeframe to process tickets may vary.
- You must wait until it is confirmed the leave hours have been transferred in ITAS and DFAS prior to using your approved Leave Bank leave.
- You must exhaust ALL available sick and annual leave prior to using Leave Bank leave. For dual enrollment, Leave Bank leave should be exhausted prior to using any VLTP leave.
You may only use Leave Bank leave for the timeframe of the medical emergency specified on the approval email.
- If your medical emergency changes and you require additional leave: submit an extension application.
- If you are partially approved: you may file an appeal of the decision.
If you invoke the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA): you are entitled to up to 12 administrative work weeks of unpaid leave in a 12-month period. You may also elect to substitute available paid leave, including leave transferred from the Leave Bank. Any leave requested under the FMLA, including Leave Bank leave, must be approved.
Set-Aside Leave Accounts
- You will accrue sick and annual leave at your normal rate per pay period while utilizing Leave Bank hours.
- Based on the types and amount of leave and regular pay hours utilized in a pay period, a certain portion of your accrued sick and annual leave hours will be applied immediately to your timecard, and a portion will be placed in a set-aside account. This calculation is done automatically at DFAS, NIH’s payroll provider.
- You may accrue up to 40 hours of sick leave and up to 40 hours of annual leave in your set aside account.
- Once your Leave Bank medical emergency is ended, the sick and annual leave in your set aside account will transfer to your regular sick and annual leave balances and be available for your use.
Direct any concerns and/or feedback to the:
- Leave Bank Office at 301-443-8393 or LeaveBank@od.nih.gov
- Branch Chief of the Leave, Payroll, & Workforce Support Branch at 301.402.7599
If you have been treated unfairly, you may file a complaint with the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
Please visit the Leave Bank Recipient Homepage for more information.
For questions, email LeaveBank@od.nih.gov or call (301) 443-8393.