Use this form below if you had trouble finding the information you needed, have a suggestion for improving this page, or found an error with the content. If you have a question that needs an immediate response, please use the Contact Us form and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Steps After Approval
Check Approval Email
An email indicating the decision will be sent to you, your LAO and the IC Leave Bank Coordinator. If the information is not accurate, contact the Leave Bank Office for re-analysis.
Schedule a Meeting
Meet with your IC Leave Bank Coordinator, your timekeeper and LAO to discuss the process, leave options and resources. Any concerns or questions should be addressed.
Use Leave Bank Leave
Approved for intermittent medical emergency
LAOs may request verification that leave used from the Leave Bank is related to the original medical emergency.
Once approved, the “Required Leave Bank leave” (approved leave – paid leave = “required Leave Bank leave”) will be transferred to NIH’s Payroll Office (DFAS) and ITAS. Please note the following:
- Timeframe: Tickets to transfer leave are submitted at the time of the approval unless otherwise noted. The timeframe to process tickets may vary.
- You must wait until the leave shows on your payslip BEFORE using this leave.
- You must exhaust ALL available sick and annual leave prior to using Leave Bank leave. For dual enrollment, Leave Bank leave should be exhausted prior to using any VLTP leave.
You may only use Leave Bank leave for the duration of the medical emergency specified on the approval email.
- If medical emergency changes and you require additional leave: submit a new application.
- If you invoke the FMLA: you may be granted up to 12 administrative work weeks of unpaid leave. You may also elect to substitute available paid leave, including leave transferred from the Leave Bank. Any leave requested under the FMLA, including Leave Bank leave, must be approved.
Direct any concerns and/or feedback to the:
- Leave Bank Office at 301-443-8393 or LeaveBank@od.nih.gov
- Branch Chief of the Benefits Office at 301-496-2404
If you have been treated unfairly, file a complaint with the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.