Mentoring is a learning relationship, generally focused on long term career development. A more experienced person (mentor) shares knowledge, experience, and wisdom with another individual (mentee).
Benefits of mentoring
- Develops a diverse, high-performing workforce
- Builds and reinforces a culture of learning
- Strengthens retention and succession planning efforts
- Empowers employees to manage their development
- Increases self-confidence
- Improves organizational communication
- Reaffirms value of building effective relationships
- Preserves corporate knowledge
Finding a mentor
As a mentee, it is recommended that you seek a mentor that best supports your goals. NIH is currently looking into options to help mentor matching within our organization.
Discover the different roles and organization benefits.