Setting Your Strategic Direction
Setting the strategic direction for your workforce plan involves understanding key mission goals and future objectives set by organization leadership and how the workforce needs to be aligned to achieve them.
Questions to consider
- Identify your expected program changes over the next 1-3 years (5 years if possible). What will drive these changes?
- What is your short-term and long-term organizational strategy?
- What challenges exist in the emerging market, economic, and political environments?
- What legislation, policy or regulation changes may impact your organization?
- What are your organizational strengths and challenges?
- How well positioned is your organization to survive change (e.g. increase or loss of cooperators, budget, or program, etc.)?
- How constant do you expect funding to remain over the next 1, 3, and 5 years?
- What are your key strategic relationships and what could impact those relationships?
- How does your department's plan align with agency overall strategy and direction?