For certain family and medical needs, you are entitled to a total of up to 12 weeks (480 Hours) of unpaid leave during a 12-month period. This is covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Important facts about Family and Medical Leave
- It is an entitlement. If you satisfy all eligible conditions, you cannot be denied the leave.
- It provides job protection. When you return to work, you are guaranteed the same position or an "equivalent" job, which means identical to the original job in terms of pay and benefits.
- You can maintain your health insurance while on leave.
Other leave options
You may be able to:
- Substitute your annual leave and/or sick leave, for unpaid leave under FMLA.
- Use Paid Parental Leave
- Use leave earned from the Voluntary Leave Transfer Program, the NIH Leave Bank, as well as advanced annual and/or sick leave.
For questions, contact your Administrative Officer or email WorkFlex@mail.nih.gov.