The Potential for Success Stories - Where Potential Meets Opportunity, and Success Becomes Reality.
We are thrilled to introduce the Emerging Talent Program (ETP), a dynamic new program designed for NIH GS 5-11 employees and equivalents. This program will provide a comprehensive opportunity for skill enhancement, professional growth, and cross-NIH collaboration. Participants will experience a holistic approach to federal career development through a thoughtfully curated curriculum. Each participant will have the opportunity to hone essential skills including effective communication, emotional intelligence, networking, conflict resolution and more, with the support of Training Center instructors and NIH subject matter experts.
ETP celebrates the richness of diversity. This program is built on the foundation of inclusivity, welcoming individuals from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Through our commitment to equity and inclusion, we aim to create a space where every participant's unique voice is not only heard but valued.
- NIH Federal Employee
- Must be on a Permanent/Indefinite Appointment
- Must be within the GS-5 to GS-11 and Wage-Grade or Title 42 equivalent
- Not currently appointed under the Pathways program
2024 ETP Features and Structure
- An in-person 2-day orientation/kick-off on NIH main campus (Natcher building)
- Duration of six months with 12 total training days
- Cohort size of 30 participants
- NIH experiences to connect to the mission (e.g., tours)
- CliftonStrengths assessment and personal results review
- Skills-building and knowledge-sharing sessions on topics such as oral and written communication, federal career management, conflict resolution, emotional intelligence, and political savvy.
- Individual Development Plan focus: Group training and one-on-one sessions
- Cohort 1 is blended; predominantly in-person at NIH Training Center White Flint location
- Cohort 2 is blended; predominantly virtual
Session 1: Orientation
- Program Introduction, Overview, and First Steps
- NIH Mission Connection: Tours
- NIH Careers Speaker(s)
Session 3: Emotional Intelligence
- Active Listening and Feedback
- Organizational Structure
- Building Trust
Session 5: Performance Management and DEIA
- Time Management
- Goal Setting and Individual Development Plans
- Generations Matter
- Building Inclusivity
Session 2: Federal Career Management
- Federal Career Management
- Navigating NIH Resouces
Session 4: Communications
- Presentation Skills
- Political Savvy/Managing Up
- Difficult Conversations
- Writing and Research Tools
Session 6: Networking
- Networking 101
- Mentoring Resources
Program Dates and Schedule
NOTE: Bold dates are fully in-person.
Cohort 1 – Blended
|Orientation/Kick-Off||February 26-27, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 3/4||March 19-20, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 5/6||April 16-17, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 7/8||May 14-15, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 9/10||June 11-12, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 11/12||July 16-17, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
Cohort 2 – Blended
|Orientation/Kick-Off||April 22-23, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 3/4||May 21-22, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 5/6||June 25-26, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 7/8||July 23-24, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 9/10||August 20-21, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
|Days 11/12||September 24-25, 2024||8:30am - 4:30pm | Natcher|
NIHTC will solicit a December call for nominations from IC Executive Officers for two 2024 ETP Pilot groups of 30 participants each. We encourage staff to learn about this new program and express their interest to their branch leadership. IC guidance on the individual application and nominations process will be further managed within each IC and prioritized at the IC Executive Office level. IC nominations are then forwarded to the NIH Training Center for placement.
*While individual applications are not needed for the submission to the Training Center, we encourage ICs to consider using an application internally. Individuals interested can reference this downloadable and fillable ETP application for an idea of what their internal vetting process might look like.
2024 ETP Nominations: Key Dates
- The 2024 Call for Nominations will go to Executive Officers in early December 2023.
- Deadline for IC nominations is January 31, 2024.
- FY24 IC funding is required.