About The Series:
The Management Seminar Series (MSS) provides administrative and scientific staff an opportunity to obtain and/or enhance management and leadership skills through presentations, interactive activities, and open discussions addressing core leadership and management issues and NIH-related matters.
MSS 2023 Format
The Management Seminar Series will be virtual this upcoming 2023 year with a possible in-person networking session in August 2023.
7 Monthly Seminars
February to August, 10AM - 12PM
- February 16 - Program Introduction & Networking Event (10AM – 1PM)
- March 16 - Seminar 1 - Emotional Intelligence
- April 20 - Seminar 2 - Developing Belonging
- April 26 - Breakout Group Session 1
- May 18 - Seminar 3 - Change Management
- June 15 - Seminar 4 - improving Quality & Productivity
- June 21 - Breakout Group Session 2
- July 13 - Seminar 5 - Managing Up
- August 3 - Seminar 6 - Leadership Values
- August 10 - Networking Event (11:30AM – 1PM)
The MSS is coordinated by the NIH Management Interns and Presidential Management Fellows, Former MSS Participants, and the NIH Training Center.
Who Should Attend:
Nominated high-performing professional NIH employees at the GS-7 through 12 levels, NIH Management Interns (MIs), and Presidential Management Fellows (PMFs). Non-supervisory GS-13 NIH employees are welcome to participate as well.
In order to participate in the MSS, all interested parties must first be nominated by their Executive Officer and, upon acceptance, will be registered for approval through the Learning Management System (LMS). Nominations are due November 30, 2022. Please see IC POCs for internal nomination deadlines.
The content is primarily shaped by former MSS participants and current NIH MIs and PMFs, reflecting a unique balance of information on the administration, culture, management, and leadership aspects of the NIH.
Prior MSS Topics have included:
- Defining & Developing Your Personal Brand
- Managing Virtual Teams
- Managing a Diverse Workforce
- Influencing Change
- Mentoring 101
- Employee Engagement and Motivation Matters
MSS Program Manager
NIH Training Center