This page provides resources to help you make an informed decision about your Federal benefits. For more detailed information, refer to the New Employee Enrollment Overview .
The Benefits staff provides the following live WebEx presentations twice a month. Use the Connect to a workshop links below to join in.
New employee benefits orientation
Overview of the Federal benefits programs.
- Date: First Tuesday of each pay period
- Time: 1:00 pm - 2:30pm
- Attendance is mandatory
New employee workshop
Answering questions on your benefits and the enrollment process. The workshop supplements the new employee benefits orientation.
- Date: Second Tuesday of each pay period
- Time: 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Attendance is optional
If you've transferred from outside the Department of Health and Human Services, please visit the Transfer Employee Benefits Information webpage for actions you may need to take and details on your WebEx presentation.
You have 60 days from your start date to complete benefits elections for all programs listed below.
Submit election form (SF-2809) through USA Staffing Onboarding for New Hires and include family member eligibility document(s), if applicable. Note: Coverage is not retroactive, and it cannot be made effective the day you enter on duty. It's effective the pay period after your enrollment form is submitted.
- Health and Dental Information Sessions
- Plan Types
- Plan Information
- Compare Plans - A tool that allows you to compare up to 4 plans side-by-side.
- BCBS New Employee Information Sessions
Dental and Vision Insurance
Apply through the BENEFEDS Portal.
Submit election form (SF-2817) through USA Staffing Onboarding for New Hires.
- Calculator- A tool that allows you to determine the face value and premiums of various combinations of coverage.
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Apply through the FSA website. The following tools will help determine if an FSA is beneficial for you and your family.
- Eligible expenses for:
- Savings Calculator for Health Care and Dependent Care FSA
Long Term Care (LTC) Insurance
Apply through the LTC website using an abbreviated underwriting application. After the initial 60-day enrollment period ends, you can still apply but must use the full underwriting application.
NIH Leave Bank Program
Apply for membership in the Integrated Time and Attendance System (ITAS), under the “Leave Bank Membership” tab. If you cannot access ITAS, please contact the NIH Leave Bank Office at LeaveBank@od.nih.gov. Additional information can be found on the Leave Bank website.
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) - You're automatically enrolled to contribute 5% of your salary. To adjust this amount, submit form (TSP-1) through USA Staffing Onboarding for New Hires. After you receive your myPay login credentials, you can make contribution changes in myPay at any time.
- Beneficiary Forms - Forms are located in USA Staffing Onboarding for New Hires. However, you must print and submit original signed forms to the Benefits Office. Forms may be submitted and updated at any time.
- Retirement Information - Learn more about your retirement program, contributions, and military service.