The following retirement forms should be submitted to your retirement contact two to three months prior to retirement, if possible:
- Application for Immediate Retirement - Required
- Complete pages 12 - 14
- Complete page 15 if you have military service or have received Workers' Compensation
- Complete page 16 if less than full survivor benefit is elected for your spouse
- Military Service Deposit Election - Required if military deposit is NOT paid.
- Continuation of Life Insurance - Required if you have life insurance and eligible to continue coverage. Complete page 4.
- Federal Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments - Required, or default withholding will be single with 0 exemptions.
- Request for Retirement in Lieu of SF-52 - Required. After completing, make a copy to include with your retirement forms. Forward the original to your supervisor and Administrative Officer.
Important Note: If you are married, you must also provide a copy of your marriage certificate with the above forms.
In addition to the above forms, also complete:
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
Withdrawals are filed directly with the TSP Service Office at least 30 days after retirement. You must take your first Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) by April 1st of the year following either the year you turn age 72 or the year you retire (whichever is later).
Other Resources and Forms
- Access to NIH Campus After Retirement - Bethesda or North Carolina
- Make a Deposit or Redeposit
- Beneficiary Forms
- Health Benefits Election Form
- Request for Military Earnings
- Voluntary Contributions
Additional Retirement Information
- Booklet - Thinking About Retirement
- CSRS Retirement Helpful Links
- Federal Health Benefits and Medicare
- Information About Disability Retirement (CSRS)
- New Retirees FAQs
- OPM - How to Reach Us
- OPM - Services Online
- Pamphlet - Retirement Services Online
- What to Expect After Retirement