The Work Number® is an automated system that provides proof of employment and income to verifiers. Workforce Solutions is widely known and used by over 50,000 entities including most major financial institutions, mortgage lenders, leasing companies, and private corporations to verify employment and income status of employees. The system provides a secure way for verifiers to obtain your employment information and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Before your information can be released to a verifier, you must give your authorization. NIH employees can use The Work Number® in two easy steps:
- Authorize the verification by completing the verifier's (lender, bank, etc.) authorization form. If the verifier needs to verify your salary, you must create a salary key in The Work Number® system to provide to the verifier. When you access the system as an employee, you will be asked to enter a User ID and a PIN.
- Go to Workforce Solutions –The Work Number® or call 1-800-367-5690
- If using the on-line system, click on Employee and then click on Log In.
- Your employer is the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Your user ID is your full SSN.
- Your initial PIN is the last four digits of your SSN + your full birth year (Example: 12341953).
- Provide the verifier with:
- https://www.theworknumber.com/ or 1-800-367-5690
- HHS Employer Code: 14775
- Salary Key (if needed) (A salary key is a six-digit electronic signature created by the employee that is good for a one time use by a verifier.)
- If you need assistance with The Work Number® system, call 1-800-367-5690.