SROs help ensure the vitality of NIH peer review by using their scientific expertise and communication and interpersonal skills to:
- Analyze the scientific content of grant applications and contract proposals,
- Identify and invite scientists and other experts to serve on study sections, special emphasis panels and technical evaluation panels, and assign the applications or contracts for each member’s written assignments,
- Organize and run peer-review meetings to assess the merit of grant applications and contract proposals,
- Provide applicants and staff with a succinct written summary statement or technical evaluation report explaining how the review committee viewed the application or proposal.
Office of Extramural Research
- NIH Policy Manual Chapters 4204-204B - Peer Review Process and 6315-1 - Initiation, Review, Evaluation, and Award of R&D Contracts
Submit a question to OER about SRO training needs directly at: NIHStaffTraining@od.nih.gov