Applies knowledge of occupational health and safety principles, techniques and practices to biomedical research activities, and to identifying and controlling physical, chemical, biological and animal hazards.
- Reviews accident reports to determine the likely causes of personal injuries.
- Recommends actions to minimize the risks associated with biomedical research.
- Conducts investigations of personal injuries, illnesses and property damage to determine potential causes.
- Conducts surveys of laboratories, patient care areas, animal care facilities and other work areas to identify potential hazards.
- Develops and recommends measures to eliminate and control hazards and risks associated with biomedical research.
- Identifies regulated hazards and refers to appropriate workgroup for surveillance.
- Collaborates with researchers to ensure that hazards have been controlled.