This course is mandatory for prospective Purchase Cardholders or Purchase Card Approving Officials (CAO). The course provides an introduction to purchasing using the NIH Purchase Card for micro-purchases and an overview of the NIH Business System (NBS) for logging purchases and reconciliation. Students will complete instructor-led and independent computer based simulation exercises. Each student will receive a guide with NIH purchase card policies & procedures. Questions on obtaining a purchase card should be directed to: CreditCard@od.nih.gov.
A pre-requisite course, Introduction to the NIH Business System (Couse # NIHNBSLMS2074) providing an overview of the NBS Organization and the NBS Community Portal, is recommended prior to this course. It is available in the LMS.
- Describe the uses and limitations of the NIH Purchase Card
- Perform the roles and responsibilities of a Cardholder and/or CAO
- Identify the key areas in which Cardholders and CAOs are involved in the purchase card process
- Follow procedures for micro-purchases
- Document purchases specific to HHS and NIH requirements
- Use the NBS Training Instance to create Oracle Log Entries
- Use the NBS Training Instance to reconcile bank transactions
The NIH Acquisitions Community