The NIH proficiency scale describes an individual’s level of proficiency in a particular competency. It describes the degree to which an employee possesses a competency and is the same for all competencies. The scale ranges from proficiency levels 1-5:
- NA - Not Applicable
- 1 - Fundamental Awareness (basic knowledge)
- 2 - Novice (limited experience)
- 3 - Intermediate (practical application)
- 4 - Advanced (applied theory)
- 5 - Expert (recognized authority)
Each level in the proficiency scale has a detailed description to help identify an employee’s level of proficiency.