Congratulations on your interest in serving as a mentor!
Benefits of Mentoring
- Ability to create positive change by sharing your wisdom, expertise, institutional knowledge and political savvy.
- Gain new perspectives
- Enhance your communication and leadership abilities
- Achieve a sense of fulfillment by assisting another person fulfill their goals.
Expectations of a Mentor
- Set relationship boundaries. Is it okay to discuss topics outside of the workplace?
- Be available. Meet at least monthly
- Determine best communication method
- Maintain confidentiality
- Be an active listener
- Advocate for networking and training opportunities
- Advise on challenges
- Offer strategies to reach career destination
- Model professional behavior and integrity
- Share your own knowledge, experiences, and lessons learned
- Be constructive and supportive with feedback
- Celebrate progress
Select a subject area for additional information.