What is Mentoring?
A developmental partnership through which an individual (mentor) shares knowledge, skills, information, and perspectives to foster the personal and professional growth of someone else (mentee).
Congratulations on beginning your search to find a mentor! As a mentee you should plan to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Own your career and take responsibility for your journey
- Own the mentor/mentee meetings and relationship
- Make your own decisions based on information you receive
- Share/define goals and brainstorm possible assignments
- Establish training goals and needs, and maintain an IDP
- Know your communication style
- Be honest and candid with your mentor and yourself
- Use your network - Ask for help when needed and openly receive feedback
- Maintain confidentiality
- Share failures, successes, lessons learned
- Be open to change
- Be available; stay in contact
- Take an unexpected journey