Working Group Goals:
The working group was charged with the tasked with:
- Identifying and addressing barriers and systemic issues that have led to a lack of representation and diversity
- Determine the philosophy are the NIH Director's Awards
- Create a recommendation to the NIH Director for implementation in the 2023 program
- Reviewed current award categories for plain language, expanded definitions, and incorporate examples from across NIH.
- Create new award categories focused on expanding opportunity and access.
- Reviewed the NIH Director's Awards approval committee, created a scoring rubric and components to reduce bias
- Created guidance for nominators, IC Awards Coordinators, and IC leadership to change the approach for nominations.
Changes for Director's Awards Nominations for 2023
- Better defined award categories for Mission Support and Administrative awards.
- Scientific/Medical divided into a research focus and clinical focus; now named Scientific/Medical Research and Scientific/Medical Clinical Care.
- Include examples of work performed at NIH that fits into each category
- Reduction of emphasis on leadership and clarified that support staff should be included in nominations.
- Creation of three new awards; Customer Service Award, Emerging Leaders, Common Fund Unsung Heros Award
- Standardize rating for NIH-level Committee through a rubric
- Provide an implicit bias refresher for committee members to review prior to rating nominations.
- Ensure every IC that submits an award is represented.