Hands-On Data Visualization Workshop
Crystal clear charts and graphs are valuable - they save an audience's mental energy, keep a reader engaged, and help to persuade your audience. In this workshop, you will learn the undeniable science behind why we need to present data effectively. You will walk through Dr. Evergreen's "Four Step Visualization Process" to structure your visualization efforts. You will uncover which chart types tell the best story in your dataset and explore design skills to highlight main points. You will also explore how to customize graphs in MS Excel so they have a more powerful impact.
After this hands-on workshop, you'll be better able to visualize your data using simple strategies in MS Excel. New skills learned can be immediately implemented on-the-job to clarify your data presentations and support clearer decision-making.
- Visual processing theory and why it is relevant.
- Graphic design best practices and visual processing theory.
- Chart selection and identification.
- Constructing data visualizations and other communication methods to best tell the story.
- Alternative methods for reporting, including dashboards and handouts.
Audience:NIH employees, team leaders, and supervisors who use data to influence decisions.
Please Note: This is an intermediate/advanced class. If you are new to MS Excel, please consider the following courses:
Microsoft Excel 365 Level 1 - NIHTC7005
Microsoft Excel 365 Level 2 - NIHTC7006