Builds and shares a compelling view of the direction, or sense of purpose of the organization, to engage and motivate others toward a common goal.
- Takes a long-term view of the organization and its surrounding environment
- Anticipates factors or future trends shaping the organization to craft the vision
- Articulates a sense of purpose for the organization
- Conveys a shared, concrete vision of the desired state which provides the basis for formulating organizational strategies and goals
- Demonstrates an optimism and sense of urgency that inspires others to embrace the vision
- Influences/motivates others to translate the vision into action
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.