Plans and coordinates the installation, testing, operation, and maintenance of hardware and software systems.
- Evaluates, selects, and installs compilers, assemblers and utilities.
- Integrates hardware and software components within the systems environment.
- Evaluates new systems engineering technologies and their effect on the operating environment.
- Ensures that information security/assurance policies, principles, practices are an integral element of the operating environment.
- Monitors the systems environment to ensure effective performance.
- Manages hardware and software obsolescence.
- Anticipates and forecasts hardware requirements when software needs change.
- Supports decisions to determine when hardware upgrades are required based on emerging software requirements.
- Plans and schedules the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems and software.
- Addresses opportunities and challenges of implementing transformational technology (e.g., virtualization, cloud computing) into the Federal environment.
- Manages accounts, network rights and access to systems and equipment.
- Implements security procedures and tools to ensure rigorous security measures are in place.
- Ensures system availability, functionality, integrity and efficiency, and maintains system configuration.
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.