The ability to exhibit confidence and professional diplomacy, while effectively relating to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Understands priorities, cultural norms, and unwritten rules for success at all levels of the organization.
- Identifies when issues need to be escalated to higher authorities and effectively alerts appropriate officials.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the interrelationships, roles and responsibilities of your organization.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships.
- Uses knowledge of the organizational culture in making decisions and perceives the impact and implications of such decisions.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to surroundings and acts accordingly in conversations.
- Perceives organizational and political sensitivities and acts accordingly.
- Understands the political environment, management priorities, staff roles and responsibilities, and grasps external factors impacting the organization.
- Ensures positive outcomes and mission achievement.
- Understands corporate priorities, cultural norms and unwritten rules for success.
- Understands different people?s attitudes about power and politics and adapts personal approaches for optimal influence.
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.