Partners with stakeholders to determine causes for performance gaps and identifies developmental solutions in an attempt to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Identifies and gathers necessary and accurate information needed to clarify an issue or make a decision, including research studies, benchmarking, or best practices research.
- Understands management and organizational principles pertaining to areas of responsibility in order to plan and conduct assessments of organizational operations.
- Develops customized training to fill organizational gaps.
- Recognizes and plans for challenges associated with undertaking business process redesign and change management efforts.
- Assesses the readiness for change of people and organizations prior to implementing any change activities.
- Articulates the importance of the role of organizational development.
- Understands organizational development as an applied social science and how the concepts and theories can be applied to organizational change to achieve greater effectiveness.
- Conducts appropriate analysis to gather data about the organization?s current state (e.g. needs assessment)
- Proposes and/or implements appropriate team-building initiatives that encourage shared vision
- Assesses operations and workflows to provide guidance on the most effective design for the organization
- Aids the organization in developing techniques and activities that foster positive change
- Works with the organization to evaluate implemented organizational changes
- Assists an organization with strategic planning to guide them from their current state to their desired state/vision
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.