Designs, manages, and maintains network systems to transmit data.
- Maintains awareness of capabilities and limitations of data transmission modes and media.
- Uses knowledge of data transmission concepts, functions and mechanisms.
- Evaluates the benefits and limitations of commonly used local wired and wireless voice and data communication architectures, devices and protocols; as well as wide-area voice and data architectures, devices and protocols.
- Applies network systems knowledge to plan, design and develop systems, and properly deploy systems to support the organization.
- Uses network engineering knowledge in design, operations and security activities.
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.