Leads and manages an inclusive workplace that maximizes the talents of each person to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect regardless of individual differences (e.g., race, gender, age, ethnicity, physical capabilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, religion)
- Develops a knowledge and understanding of different cultures and backgrounds
- Builds collaborative and mutually beneficial working relationships with people regardless of their individual differences
- Modifies communication and behavior based on an understanding of individual differences
- Utilizes an understanding of individual differences to communicate with, influence, and manage individuals (e.g., resolving conflict, building teams) throughout the organization
- Recognizes and communicates the value of diverse perspectives
- Fosters an environment of inclusion, where diverse thoughts are freely shared, respected and integrated
- Helps others increase their awareness and acceptance of individual differences
- Develops policies, procedures and values that encourage awareness and acceptance of diversity
- Recruits, develops, and retains a diverse, high quality workforce in an equitable manner
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.