Identifies and understands how internal and external issues (e.g., economic, political, social trends) impact the work of the organization.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the organization?s functions and responsibilities.
- Considers organization?s capabilities, mission, vision, values, and strategic goals and objectives in work efforts.
- Knows capabilities, capacities and constraints of the organization.
- Reviews external information and news to learn about political and social issues that might affect the organization.
- Identifies individuals who have the technical expertise to respond to inquiries on specific topics.
- Knows both when and how to effectively escalate issues that warrant immediate attention.
- Uses discretion when handling sensitive matters/content.
- Keeps current on formal and informal reporting relationships.
- Identifies opportunities based on unique cultural needs.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the interrelationships of foreign and domestic agencies and governments.
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.