Delegates responsibility and authority as appropriate.
- Divides overall work into components and determines what can be delegated
- Delegates responsibilities and ensures that group tasks are completed
- Clearly defines and communicates objectives and tasks
- Communicates context, purpose, and long-term benefits to empower others to take greater responsibility
- Communicates expectations regarding outcomes or deliverables, timelines, and quality of work
- Delegates responsibility and authority to others based on their ability and potential
- Expresses appreciation to others for taking on tasks
- Gives others freedom to have control of assigned tasks and duties
- Provides others with opportunities that challenge them and develop their capabilities
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.