Plans, develops and manages data storage and retrieval systems by applying generally accepted data models, standards and processes.
- Working knowledge of relational database management systems (RDBMS) models.
- Considers the challenges of development, the benefits and applications of data warehouses, and best practices to implement applications.
- Utilizes knowledge of data mining and its various uses to perform duties.
- Learns self on and understands the benefits associated with using multidimensional information (e.g., Online Analytical Processing ? OLAP).
- Knows bibliographic data management systems and databases for scientific research, such as PubMed.
- Learns, stays up to date on and incorporates the basic components of a data, records, and knowledge management process.
- Considers the differences between data management and records management and how they may support one another.
- Maintains, analyzes and/or updates a computer database.
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.