Recognize and create a compelling view of the purpose and direction of the organization. Effectively communicate that vision, both internally and externally, to build commitment to achieving it.
- Engages others to create a shared vision of the purpose and direction of the group/lab, IC and NIH overall.
- Develops and communicates the roadmap for the change and innovation required to achieve the vision.
- Engages others to create common goals that support the organizational vision.
- Communicates and gains commitment to organizational goals.
- Promotes the creation and communication of plans to reach objectives that support the organizational vision.
- Helps others understand how their work relates to the organizational vision and ensures that job goals are aligned with organizational goals.
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.