Uses a variety of approaches to manage and resolve concerns, disagreement, and conflict.
- Invites others to express their points of view
- Identifies and takes steps to prevent potential situations that could result in unpleasant confrontations
- Expresses disagreements in a way that does not attack or disparage others
- Helps uncover underlying and unstated issues causing the conflict
- Brings disagreements into the open and addresses them
- Expands areas of agreement and narrows areas of disagreement
- Facilitates the development of creative solutions to conflict
- Identifies the truth in criticisms
- Knows when to compromise and when to stand firm
Developmental opportunities for this competency are available from the NIH Training Center.