Use this form below if you had trouble finding the information you needed, have a suggestion for improving this page, or found an error with the content. If you have a question that needs an immediate response, please use the Contact Us form and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
The Benefits and Payroll Liaison Branch offers seminars to NIH employees in all stages of their Federal career. Learn more about your CSRS or FERS retirement system, how military service affects your retirement eligibility, contributions to social security, and the Thrift Savings Plan using the tabs below.
Phased Retirement Information
Phased Retirement is a human resources tool that allows full-time employees to work part-time schedules while beginning to draw retirement benefits. This new tool will allow managers to better provide unique mentoring opportunities for employees while increasing access to the decades of institutional knowledge and experience that retirees can provide.
OPM issued final regulations implementing Phased Retirement effective November 6, 2014; however, agencies must first establish their internal policy prior to implementing the program at the agency level. Phased Retirement is not yet available within HHS. NIH is awaiting a decision from HHS on when Phased Retirement will be implemented. Once HHS decides to adopt Phased Retirement, an internal policy must be put in place after completing the following:
- Discussions with our labor partners;
- Transition to the new integrated payroll and human resources provider, the National Finance Center; and ensure the successful deployment of HHS’s new employee travel management system;
- Provide training to employees, managers, and HR professionals;
- Upgrade retirement benefits technology; and
- Ensure that the Department implements a Phased Retirement Mentoring program necessary to fully comply with the regulations.
Upon establishment of the HHS policy and availability of the program to NIH employees, information will be disseminated via various communication sources such as NIH-wide Listserv notices, Benefits Newsletter, and HR News.
For additional information on Phased Retirement view the FAQs.
- Mid-Career Financial Planning Workshop: Attend if you’re 15-20 years away from retirement
- CSRS and FERS Workshops: Attend if you plan to retire within the next 5 years