Employee Actions for Compensation Claims

Step 1: You have sustained an injury or illness at work

In the event of an injury at work, you should complete the following steps:

Immediately initiate first aid

Contaminated skin and wounds should be washed thoroughly with soap and water for 15 minutes. If eyes or other mucous members are contaminated, they should be irrigated for 15 minutes using normal saline or water.

Notify your supervisor

Your supervisor should be informed immediately of the incident if he/she is directly available.

Report to Occupational Medical Services (OMS)

OMS is located in Building 10, Room 6C306, and is open from 7:30am to 5:00pm, Monday-Friday.

OMS will provide further information on the appropriate forms to complete for compensation, if applicable.

In the event that OMS is closed, the Clinical Center Operator can be contacted at 301-496-1211 and the on-call doctor can assist with first aid.

Step 2: Filing a claim using ECOMP

All Federal Employees who are injured at work and would like to file a claim under the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA) must now do so using the electronic filing system, ECOMP . Instructions for filing a CA-1 or CA-2 form in ECOMP are provided by OMS when an employee reports an injury. If you have lost your instructions, please refer to the CA-1 or CA-2 buttons below for information and guides.

Step 3: After the claim is filed

If you have filed a CA-1 or CA-2 form, but have not lost time from work, it is your responsibility to provide the Department of Labor (DOL), OMS and your office with any updated medical documentation pertaining to your injury.  Please take outside medical documentation directly to OMS.  You can request a supervisor copy of the OMS blue slip to bring to your office to ensure your supervisor is aware of any restrictions you may have. Please contact the NIH Workers’ Compensation Program at (301) 496-2404 if you do not know the status of your claim

If you have filed a CA-1 and lost time from work, you may be eligible for a special leave category, Continuation of Pay (COP). See the button below for more information on COP.  If your COP entitlement has been exhausted and you are still disabled from returning to work, please contact the NIH Workers’ Compensation Program to further discuss the options available to you.

If you have filed a CA-2 and have lost time from work, you are NOT eligible for the special leave category, COP. Please contact the NIH Workers’ Compensation Program to further discuss the options available to you.

Step 4: Medical care and work restrictions

If you are temporarily unable to work because of your injury, you need to keep your supervisor informed about your medical condition, and return to work as soon as your physician allows you to do so. Please refer to the Return to Work button below for more information.