The FSAFEDS 2021 Special Enrollment Period has started! You can now enroll in the FSAFEDS Program or make changes to your current enrollment.
The Special Enrollment Period will run through June 30, 2021.
Important Highlights regarding the Special Enrollment Period and the FSAFEDS flexibilities:
- Current FSAFEDS participants may increase or decrease their current elections to their Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA), Limited Expense Health Care Flexible Spending Account (LEX HCFSA), and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA).
- Eligible employees who are not currently enrolled in the FSAFEDS Program may enroll during the Special Enrollment Period.
- OPM is allowing unlimited carryover for re-enrolled HCFSA and LEX HCFSA participants for the 2020 and 2021 plan years. If an employee does not re-enroll in 2021, they will not have access to any possible 2020 carryover funds.
- OPM is extending the grace period for all DCFSA participants for the 2020 and 2021 plan years. The 2020 grace period is extended through December 31, 2021, and the 2021 grace period is extended through December 31, 2022.
- DCFSA participants with a qualifying dependent child who turned age 13 during the 2020 plan year may use any unused funds from that plan year for eligible expenses for that child until they turn age 14. To qualify for this, participants must have been enrolled in a FSAFEDS DCFSA for the 2020 plan year.
- The 2021 DCFSA election maximum has been increased to $10,500 (or $5,250 for married taxpayers filing separately). Current DCFSA participants may take advantage of this by increasing their election amount during the Special Enrollment Period.
- Use of masks and hand sanitizing wipes (with 60%+ alcohol base) have been approved as eligible over-the-counter (OTC) HCFSA expenses!
For information on the flexibilities and Special Enrollment Period, including how to enroll and examples explaining the effective dates, refer to the Quick Reference Guide.
Questions may be directed to FSAFEDS at 877-372-3337 (TTY: 866-353-8058).